Medd HouseIn 1952 the Rees family moved into FourGables which had been the home of theMedd family for some years. They renamedthe property Medd House in memory of brothers Peter and Richard Medd who wereboth killed in WW2.
Wonersh ParkIn 1674, Richard Gwynne rebuilt a farmhouse at the side of thevillage green opposite the Church. The house had variousowners and grew steadily grander over the years. In 1765Fletcher Norton, the 1st Baron Grantley of Markenfield came toWonersh and enlarged the estate. By 1884 the Grantleys had left Wonersh and the estate was sold to John and Mary Sudbury.In 1914 Mary Sudbury sold Wonersh Park to Robert Haslam onthe condition that she could continue to live there for the restof her life. When she died in 1926 no buyer was found and thehouse was eventually demolished in 1929.
The Old HouseBuilt about 1600. An early resident of The OldHouse was George Brett a shoemaker, Verger(from 1910) and Churchwarden (from 1916).From 1924 to 1996 Claudia Parsons, engineer,traveller and author lived here.
The Pepper Pot was built in October 1928 byarchitect Robert Haslam who at that timeowned Wonersh Park but lived in Mill House.There is local belief that the oak beams usedmay have come from the demolished mansionand the tiles from the ice house but there is no proof of this.
Wonersh PondThe pond is shown on maps dated 1871and 1897. A 1949 Women’s Institutescrapbook suggests the pond was drainedaround 1906 when mains drainage wasbrought to the village.
Lawnsmead23 houses and a reading room built at acost of £3404 in 1872 by Edwin Ellis, ownerof Summersbury Tannery for his workers.Considered very desirable although norunning water or toilets. One stand pipeand night soil kept in recess for collection.
Opened as Wonersh Liberal Club in 1887at a cost of £672.10. Remains virtually unchanged.
The Little House/No 1/No 2Listed in 1855 Post Office Directory asa butcher shop owned by Henry Bushby.Bought by Mrs Cook who financedconversion to present day configuration.
The SheilingsNow a pharmacy, The Sheilings has beena shop, bakery and Post Office.From the middle of the 20th Century itbecame a guest house/tea rooms.
TankardsWe believe George Cox had his shop herefollowed from 1895 to 1915 by AlbertColeman, shopkeeper and beer retailer.In the 1919 trade directory he wasreplaced by Thomas Jendon who was listeduntil 1927. The shop had one more ownerbefore being converted to a private housearound 1935.
Green PlaceDatedarchitecturallyto14thcenturyandhome totheElyotfamilyuntilearly16thcentury.Fell intodisusebylate17thcentury,habitableagain byearly18th.ItiswidelybelievedthatE ShepherdusedthestaircaseatGreenPlaceas themodelforhisdrawinginAAMilne’s‘Halfway Down’poeminhisbook‘WhenWeWereVery Young’.
The Old VicarageOriginalhousedeliberatelydemolished anddestroyedbyfirein1855following deathofRevBody’swifeandchildren probablyasaresultofcholeracausedby baddrainage.Replacementbuiltin1856 andcontinuedtobeusedathevicarage until mid-1980s.
AshlandsBuilt about 1827. See Miscellanea/Reminiscencesof an Old House.
Wonersh CourtWonersh Yard, the former stable block oftheGrantleyEstate.In1935,VictorBerwyn JonestookaleaseonWonershYardand ranhisveterinarybusinessthereuntil 1945whenitwastransferredtoDonald Underwood, another vet.