WONERSH
© Wonersh History Society - www.wonershhistory.co.uk (WHS)
HISTORY SOCIETY
WONERSH BOWLS CLUB The Club’s own website gives a full account of its history and so here we are simply providing a shortened version. The Corner House, opposite the Pepper Pot, is now two flats but before being converted the house belonged to Dr James Bell Nicholl. The sitting room of what is now the Garden Flat was Dr Nichol’s consulting room and it was here, after a Unionist Association Committee meeting that the idea of a bowling club was born. It has to be said there was little enthusiasm but nevertheless those present agreed to pursue the idea and a meeting of some 50 people was held in the Memorial Hall to gauge interest. Present were Messrs John Courage, Frank Cook, Robert Haslam and Frank Rogerson who subsequently became founders of Wonersh Bowling Club. Frank Rogerson agreed to lease some ground behind the Memorial Hall for a nominal rent of 2/6d per annum, later giving the land to the Club when he moved from Chinthurst. In 1925 the site was levelled, enclosed and turfed and in 1926 the outskirts of the ground were planted with shrubs and lime trees. A small cycle shed acted as a temporary pavilion and then, following a gift from John Courage, replaced at a cost of £300, Frank Cook providing the furniture. The first Captain of the Club was Major White of the Forrest Arms in Blackheath (succeeded in 1928 by Mr John Jay) but unfortunately not much play was possible during the summer because the members had to learn the rules of the game …”
Surrey Advertiser 19 August 1944
Photo courtesy of Dennis Cruickshank