BUTCHERSHenry Bushbyis listed as a butcher in Wonersh in the 1855 Post Office Directory. This photograph shows his premises to the right of where the Wonersh surgery now stands. His premises were bought by Mrs Cookwho financed their conversion to the buildings as they are today (The Little House and Nos 2 and3 The Street). It’s said that Henry was very fond of his ale but had no problem doing his rounds because his horse was always able to find its own way home if Henry was incapable.When Henry died in 1891 his widow Claratook over the business. The 1891 Census lists three of her sons as butchers and a daughter as an assistant butcher. Cattle were chosen at Guildford Market each week and brought to Wonersh giving rise to complaints in 1909 of the smell from the slaughter house (thought to be at the rear of the shop) during the summer months.Grinstead’s butchers was on the Common until at least the 1970s. In 1945 and 1967 the butcher was listed in Kelly’s Directory as Mrs OHancockbut later, and very appropriately, the butcher was Mr Bacon. Also listed in Kelly’s in 1927, 1930 and 1934 was William Palmer,a butcher based in Barnett Lane.BAKERSThe Sheilings (now the Pharmacy) was originally a shop, bakery and Post Office. In 19th Century trade directories William Nashwas shown as the grocer followed in the 1901 Census by George Bushbya grocer running the Post Office until at least 1930. Minnie Ireland(Lawnsmead) remembered the ‘delicious faggot bread’ baked at The Sheilings.Thomas Elwin was another baker and confectioner based at The Common.CANDLESTICK MAKERSSorry, not one to be found.GUEST HOUSE & TEA ROOMSThis was another incarnation of The Sheilings in the middle of the 20th Century. In 1934 it was owned by the Misses Edwards,in 1938 by Miss Searle, in 1944 by Mrs D G Brown and in 1967 by Wing Commander and Mrs Prince.BLACKSMITHSRecent information suggests that the forge was near the cottages at The Common, possibly close to where Old Forge Cottage is today. Prior to this, it is believed that the smithy was near the bridleway opposite Rice’s Corner. The first blacksmith known was James Hurst(born 1816) who was followed by his son Arthur(born 1848) and they lived at Hurst Cottage (now Westbrooke Cottage)on Wonersh Common Road opposite Blackheath Lane. By the 1911 Census, Arthur is an inmate in the Hambledon Union Workhouse where he died in 1912 at the age of 62.