SHOPS ON THE COMMONFacing the common, where there had previously been kennels, a small row of shops was built: Faulkner’sgrocers and newsagents (the furthest away from the main road) and Grinstead’s ‘fishmongers-cum-butchers’.OFF LICENCESIn addition to the shop and off licence run by the Hollandson Wonersh Common Road and the beer retailer in Tankardsin The Street, Ashlandson Wonersh Common Road was also once a beer shop. An item in the 1949 Women’s Institute Scrapbook mentions ‘I have been told they drank their beer under the big old tree in front, of which only the ancient stump remains. There was a well by the door and inside at the back of the house was a small cellar just sufficiently sunk below the ground for the beer barrels to keep cool’.Woodyer’s View on Barnett Lane was owned by Guildford brewer F A Crooke & Co and when it ceased to be a grocer’s shop in 1913, they re-opened the business as an off licence. Frederick Mottand his family moved from nearby Diamond Cottagesto run it and in 1956 the licence was held by Frederick’s son Frankand his wife Betty.According to Betty, before the New Road properties were built the area was used for grazing cattle. The herdsman would bring the cattle along Barnett Lane as far as the off licence and then leave the cows to find their own way back to the field while he stopped off for a jar or two.NURSERIESIn 1947 Stewart King Industries Ltd bought Little Tangleyintending to use the premises to demonstrate and trial the products from their Portsmouth factory. They went on to pioneer the first air conditioned greenhouse, the polythene tunnel and hydroponics. In 1952 a receiver was appointed and ownership of the site passed to National Provincial Bank in 1954. The Kelly’s Directory for 1967 has the Garden Maintenance Company (Builders) Ltd, landscape gardeners listed at Little Tangley Nursery.The1855 Post Office Directory lists ‘William Virgo & Son, florists, nursery & seedsmen, Wonersh Nursery’, and also ‘Samuel Virgo, market gardener’. The nursery was in Lordshill but one of the Virgos lived at Ashlands on Wonersh Common Road in the mid 19th Century.