GENERAL STORESUntil it became a guest house and restaurant, The Sheilings (now the Pharmacy) was a general store, bakery and Post Office. The grocer and sub-postmaster was Harry Wheeler,listed in Kelly’s Directories of 1885 to 1899, an ambitious man who bought the large garden of Fern Cottageopposite. He built the shop which became Wonersh Supply Stores, Forrest Stores (1953), Fine Fare and eventually Wonersh Village Stores.On Wonersh Common Road in what is now The Bottle & Basket,there was a shop and off licence run by Alfred John Hollandand his wifeSarah.Sarah took over the shop when her husband died in 1931 and when she died her daughter Eileen Buttran the business. At the time of this photograph it was also the Village Post Office.The house in The Street now known as Tankards was also a shop. We believe George Cox,who is listed as a shopkeeper in trade directories from 1874 to 1891, had his shop at Tankards, and from 1895 to 1915 the business was run by Albert George Coleman,shopkeeper and beer retailer. In the 1919 directory Mr Coleman had been replaced by Thomas Jendon and he is listed until 1927. The shop had one more owner before being converted to a private house around 1935.Phyllis Oliverran a grocer’s shop in Woodyer’s Viewon Barnett Lane until she died in 1913.